Experience Camps is an award-winning national nonprofit that transforms the lives of grieving children through summer camp programs and innovative, year-round initiatives. Through compassion, connection, and play, we allow grieving children to embody a life full of hope and possibility. By amplifying their voices, we are creating a more grief-sensitive culture.
Witness the magic of Experience Camps for yourself here in this short documentary.
What is ExperienceMaui?
ExperienceMaui is a free four-day, three-night camp for kids on Maui entering grades 3rd-11th (ages 8-17) in the 2023-2024 school year who have experienced the death of a parent, primary caregiver, sibling or other significant person. Camp will be divided in age-appropriate upper and lower camp units.
We plan to enroll 12 children.
Camp is available as a Day Camp or Overnight Camp option. Click here for a sample daily program outline.
We recommend that at least six months have passed since the death of their person or people.
Who are the staff and how will they keep my camper safe?
- ExperienceMaui is staffed by veteran Camp Manitou and Experience Camps counselors who undergo background checks and receive trauma, grief- and lifeguard-training. Campers will be monitored by adult staff at all times.
- Program Director: Tristan Hewat, Camp Manitou
- Grief Specialist: Beth Ricciardi, Experience Camps
When and where is it?
- July 28-31, 2023
- Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
What will campers do?
The camp will include activities that make both Experience Camps and Camp Manitou at Wailea so special, combining the best of what each program is best known for: Grief & Play. Program includes:
- Island adventures, fun, games and lots of laughs!
- Sharing circles, grief activities, and time for campers to slow down to reflect on their grief
- Meaningful connection with peers who “get it” about grief
- Campfires, s’mores, and more!
Want to see our Island Adventures?
Click here or follow campmanitou.fs on Instagram
What is the cost of camp?
The camp is free for campers. For overnight campers, this includes transportation from Central Maui, food, activities, and housing. Campers and staff will stay in a suite at the Four Season Resort Maui at Wailea that is being converted camp-style! For day campers, this includes food and activities.
Caregivers are responsible for their camper’s drop off & pick up at the Four Seasons if enrolled in the day camp.
How do I sign up?
Parents & Caregivers, if you have a child or children you would like to come to camp, complete this quick ‘referral’ form. ExperienceMaui staff will review the form and contact you to schedule a phone call to connect with you and your camper. From there, staff will decide if our camp is the best fit for your camper. Camp space is limited and spots will be filled on a first come, first served basis once the above steps are completed.
Have questions or want to learn more?